Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Wed 08.05.13


Danielle Hensby

I have decided that I would like to hang some other work alongside my fabric prints at the exhibition and although I may use some work which I have already completed, I want to try and produce some more designs which are very developed and have been informed by the work I have already done. Over the past few days I have been deliberating about whether to use print, painting, digital work or a combination. I would like to use my drawing and painting skills, but because I am wary about time I have decided to design and paint some motifs which I will then manipulate in Photoshop. I began work on my drawings for the motifs today. 

After having re-visited the work of digital print designer Danielle Hensby whilst compiling my artist influence for my catalogue I have thought about whether I would like these designs to be entirely repeats like those on my fabrics or more of a collage of different elements composed together in a design which looks more like a picture. Hensby’s work is less about repeating one central motif and more about layering together lots of different things. I think that I would like to take a similar approach with these designs. For my drawings I have picked out interesting elements, some which are patterns and some which are figurative. I will use of the elements alone within the design and others I will repeat.  I have also decided to draw and paint these much larger than the tile designs I did before as they were difficult and very time consuming to paint. I think that a combination of paint and digital work will give my designs an interesting feel as I think, had I added colour completely digitally, the overall look of the work would not sit well with the more ‘earthy’ and hand-done art which has inspired it.

No comments:

Post a Comment