Tutorial with Jane
Today I had a tutorial with Jane, where we discussed my Part 3 project. I booked this extra tutorial in order to get another opinion about my aims for Part 3 in relation to my work so far, my strengths and where I might take them. Because of these aims I brought with me my work so far in Part 3, but also my last Part 2 project as well. I told Jane that I was still interested in pattern, layering and use of colour - but that I would like to use these interests and strengths in slightly new ways and not necessarily to create textiles outcomes. She told me that coming from more of a paint background than one of print that she thought of fabric printing / design as 'painting with fabric' and that perhaps I should think of the fabric as a canvas for the artwork itself. She did however point out that fabric designers sell their designs not printed fabric itself and that I could focus on the design stage rather than having to translate them into print. I explained how I felt that my control over colour choice and fine detail was lost when I transferred my designs onto the print table and she suggested that if this was how I felt then maybe my final outcome could be a collection of paintings - which focused mainly on colour rather than a length of fabric on display.
She did point out though that this could potentially hinder my final mark in the respect that my direction and specialism may not be clear. I mentioned my initial idea of mixed media pieces and also some concerns about whether these would look 'tacky' or unsophisticated. Jane thought that mixed media was an option and that these things would not be an issue if subtly and care was observed. I also said that I would ideally like my work to have more of a concept or underlyign theme. She said that from looking at m,y previous work it seemed that 'colour' was my a clear theme.
Prior to the tutorial I made some notes about my ideas. I thought that since layering, repetition and dense clusteres of imagery were a feature in my practice that I could use these elements to convey several ideas. For instance they could represent claustrophobia or overcrowding, monotomy or a lack of individualism. From my researh so far representation of personal cultures - e.g. those of certain African communities in the works of Georges Litanga Di Nyama or Twin Seven Seven - has been a prevailent focus. I picked these works becuase of their warm earthy colours and flowing repetative imagery - but I am now also finding the concept behind them to be an interesting avenue for exploration.
After this tutorial I feel as if I have more viable options with the final direction in which I take my project which has made me feel less restricted in my practice. I do however feel that I need to pin-point a fairly clear focus with my work in order that I continue upon a clear path - and realise that I have been avoiding this in order to keep my options open and not disregard anything that could be intersting or worthwhile.
No comments:
Post a Comment