Friday, 26 April 2013

Fri 26.04.13



This morning I finished drawing the first of my design tiles for the work that I am going to scan in the repeat and layer in Photoshop. It is quite intricate and so has taken me a long time to do considering that it is only A4 size, but I have thought really carefully about where everything goes and how the different elements interact with each other. Also because I have now cut up the design and made it into a cut-through I had to think about what the two side edges and top/bottom of the design would look like when placed together. For this reason, once I had stuck the design back together as a cut-through tile I then made some adjustments to my drawing so that everything linked together well and there were no harsh straight lines to be seen. 

I spent the rest of the day painting my design. This took a really long time. I had drawn the design small because I thought that this would be an easy scale to work with for my first attempt and it would be faster to complete as I only intended this to be sample work. However, because my image was so small, I had to use a very tiny paintbrush and paint really slowly and carefully. I also chose to use acrylics because this medium I had used to mix my colour swatches and I felt that I would be able to get a really varied range of colour choices. Also, using acrylic rather than watercolour means that I can go over what I have painted if I decided I want to play around with and change colours. However, I work with acrylics quite thickly because I like to create strong, flat colour which isn’t translucent. It was therefore difficult to get the paint accurately into the tiny corners of my drawing without spending a lot of time doing so.

I am happy with the final though. I have kept my colours subtle and with the aid of my inspiration book have managed to stray from the palate that I might ordinarily use. My favourite colour is the pale olivey green which I think really lifts and brightens the design. I did use a small amount of gold paint, but painted over some areas of this for fear that it might make the work look a bit tacky and I wasn’t sure how well it would show up once scanned into Photoshop. I have left a small amount of gold for subtle decoration. Tomorrow I plan to draw out the remaining designs, hopefully speeding up the process a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment