Today I completed my A2 design sheet with a final motif of wolf characters which I took from my observational drawings of North American totem poles. I am happy with the finished designs although they have taken me quite a long time to do, they all contain lots of detail and I have carefully considered and trialled out where I put every element so that they flow and are composed well. I was originally thinking about painting them, but I am now considering using them as the basis for some prints as I want to get some faster samples done and with printing I will be able to generate lots of examples and experimentation. Lots of the artists which I have looked at, such as Emmanuel Ekong Effery, use darker more detailed outlines alongside block of colour and I think that I might be able to achieve this effect by working in fine art prints.
I have also been
doing some more drawing in my small sketchbook, working from my photographs to
generate some more ideas to further vary my motifs and designs. I find that if I
draw something out in my sketchbook first from photographs or direct
observation, then when I come to draw it again within my designs it is a lot
easier to do and more accurate because I am already familiar with the image. Also
this allows me more freedom to then adapt the original drawing to something
which better reflects my style or fits the role of what I am trying to add to
the design.
No comments:
Post a Comment