Monday, 8 April 2013

Mon 08.04.13



Today I went to London to visit the V&A and the British Museum. My intention was to look at more artefacts and to gather further drawings and photographs. I did some drawings in the V&A, mostly looking at patterns. But a lot of the things on display were of Asian origin and they had a very specific style which didn’t really go with my research and drawing so far. Surprisingly, I did manage to do some interesting drawings of things which I found in the theatre and performance collection. They had on display two costumes from the theatre production of the Lion King and there was a video of the costume designer talking about the African art and textiles which she had taken inspiration from. She said that she was not trying to ‘rip off’ any other culture, but had used inspiration from tribes all over Africa to feed into her own designs. I thought that this was interesting comment to make and something which I could think about I regards to my own work and my inspiration. 

There was a really interesting exhibition in the Americas section of the British Museum which was all about birth, death and superstition in Native American cultures. There were lots of beautiful artefacts which were exciting from a decorative design point of view, but also because of the stories behind them. I also looked at the Africa collection which housed some wonderful bright textile prints and both modern and ancient African art. The room was full of amazing vivid colours and artefacts made up of curious figures and faces. I took lots of photographs, focusing on the colours and interesting figures which I could develop into motifs.

During the day I managed to get quite a few drawings done, but I was very pushed for time so relied mostly on recording things with my camera. This will probably mean that I will do most of my idea exploration and drawing from the trip at a later stage. Also, my day could have been used more effectively if I had done better research into what could be found at each of the museums as the British Museum turned out to be most useful but I only had a very short amount of time left to explore it before the exhibits closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment