Today I did some drawing and began to develop the elements within my initial designs into some more developed ideas and motifs. I did my drawings using my existing designs, my inspiration book and my observational drawing book for reference. I used the drawing of the little man which I used in one of my initial design drawings and took inspiration from the figures in Twin Seven Sevens paintings. I began at the corner of an A2 page but also I expanded my drawing outwards, this time it begin to take on a more linear shape and it is now beginning to look like a long strip of pattern. I am happy with the look of the design so far, using the man as my central focus, I have repeated this image, but each man is slightly different in facial expression, clothes and position, which I think gives a nice flow to the composition and adds character. My friend likened the style to children’s illustration and I think that this is true to some extent, but I am wary of going too far in this direction as I would like my later designs to look quite sophisticated rather than appeal more to children.
I have also started to develop my own kind of style of
drawing which is influenced by the cultures I have looked at, but also has my
own stamp on it. My figures are very round and squat and I have exaggerated this
further by the curving positions that they are in. I have drawn the facial
features in a way similar to how faces come out when I draw using continuous
line and the nose and eyes are interlinked, with the eyes being very large and
prominent. I am happy that I have begun to develop a style that I feel
comfortable with and I think that this will help tie together all my
developmental work. At the end of the day I had one almost complete strip of
pattern, I was planning to expand my design across the whole A2 page and use a
real collage of different elements and motifs (like a larger version of my
initial drawings) but I am now thinking about filling the page with two more
strips of pattern and within each focussing on a repeated character, such as
the man in my first design. I will continue this work on Friday as tomorrow I am
going to focus on re-writing my project proposal to hand in for the end of the
week.
No comments:
Post a Comment